I love The Woks of Life! Olive oil Rinse the oxtails under cold running water, and pat dry with a paper towel. Thank you. Drain and rinse the … Can’t wait to make this tonight! 10. 3. It makes for a more rounded flavor or something on the lines of that. Learn how to cook great Oxtail vegetable soup . Chinese oxtail soup is a family tradition dish that somewhere between a soup and a stew. Remember to skim off the fat periodically. Judy is the mom of The Woks of Life family. 2. 1 teaspoon black pepper Sprinkle black pepper, salt and sugar on it. 250g ketchup Just chop, chop, chop and top the soup generously with the … This is a great food for winter. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Heat a wok with clear water, and add the washed oxtail, ginger and 1 tablespoon cooking wine. 4. Put the 2 bay leaves, 1 cinnamon stick, green onion and ginger in the wok. And Chinese oxtail soup has high nutritional value. 19 homemade recipes for oxtail soup from the biggest global cooking community! In order to release the flavors of the ingredients, it is cooked at a slow boil for a long time. Bring 10 cups of water to boil. In this particular recipe, onions and turnips round out the meaty flavor of the oxtails, and the result is a balanced, surprisingly light, and subtle soup. Chinese Oxtail Soup is a traditional local dish from Guangdong Province, China.  And it belongs to Cantonese cuisine. Don’t pour it down the drain, or you’ll ruin your pipes! This oxtail recipe is actually really easy and comes together fast, then you just leave it in the pot until everything merges and the meat is fork-tender. And the capacity of the food is controlled at about 70%-80% of the volume of the wok. Serve, garnished with chopped cilantro. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Remember to skim off the fat periodically. 2-3 bay leaves Pour the soup through the filter into a bowl. Turn the fire down, and continue to cook it under low heat for 45 minutes. Try 11 traditional Chinese soup recipes for you to enjoy this winter including 4 of your most Americanized traditional Chinese soup recipes in our collection. Add the oxtails, tomatoes, celery, carrots, onions and bay leaf. Time involved — 4 hours. Coupled with the use of goji berries and codonopsis root, this Chinese herbal healing oxtail soup focuses on toning and strengthening Qi. (or is it better to leave on the stove?) Cut the onions and carrots into pieces and slice the garlic. It sounds fancy, elegant, and difficult to use in everyday cooking – but you couldn’t be … Pour them into the wok. I have a question about the soup, I always thought my Mom would put dried orange peels into oxtail soup…. This can remove the smell of meat. Continue to cook it under low heat for about 30 minutes until the oxtail cooked. White Cut Chicken – Chinese Poached Chicken. Jan 2, 2018 - Nourishing soups are key for healing digestive ailments and boosting energy in Traditional Chinese Medicine. Chinese Oxtail Soup: Recipe Instructions. Bring 10 cups water to a boil in a heavy and large pot over medium high heat. I want to introduce all kinds of Chinese traditional food for you. Add the oxtail and filtered soup in the wok. Steamed Chicken with Mushrooms & Dried Lily Flowers. Simmer for about 6 hours (the longer the better) with the lid covered. Hi Eliza, I have not tried it yet, so it’s hard for me to say :-|. The servings are small because the soup is rich. Heat the oil in a pan and when hot fry the oxtail to get a nice colour on all sides. All you need to do is skim the fat off the top of the resulting liquid. Oxtail Soup Yield: 12 Servings Unlike traditional French and English recipes, which leave the sections of oxtail whole in the soup, for this version you take the meat off the oxtails after they are cooked so the soup is easier to eat. Cut the onions and carrots into pieces and slice the garlic. Cook the oxtail in water first and then added with other ingredients to continue cooking. Oxtail Vegetable Soup Recipe. One of the characterizing attributes of Chinese oxtail soup is that it contains a huge mass of solid ingredients, instead of ingredients that have been diced or destroyed just like the standard with Chinese soup. will change the nutritional information in any recipe. Oxtail soup can elevate to become an exotic wonder dish with an adventurous twist of Asian flavor. Subscribe to our email list and be sure to follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and Youtube! This oxtail soup recipe is so simple and easy that I am a little embarrassed to even publish it. My parents always try to mix different types of bones or meat for stock. But Sarah loves it, and said that we should, so I’m going to listen to the boss. Cook the oxtail in water first and then added with other ingredients to continue cooking. Transfer them on a plate. Bring back to a boil, then turn heat to low and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Would the flavor of the soup be enhanced if the onions were roasted with the oxtails? Various online calculators also provide different results, depending on their sources. If you're having a group of friends over who don't mind reaching into their bowls to gnaw on the bones, just Add the amount of water at once. This can remove the smell of meat. Just like I add dried tangerine peels to my red bean paste while the rest of TWOL protested against it! We’re Bill, Judy, Sarah, and Kaitlin– a family of four cooks sharing our home-cooked and restaurant-style recipes. While the oxtails are roasting, add 12 cups of water to a stockpot. Rinse the oxtails under cold running water, and pat dry with a paper towel. Heat a pan with oil, and stir-fry garlic until fragrant. Tap here to receive our FREE top 25 recipe book! Traditional Oxtail Soup Recipe. It combines tomato, carrots and chunks of oxtail. Oxtail vegetable soup recipe. This Chinese herbal healing oxtail soup is a classic nourishing recipe based on Traditional Chinese medicine. Preheat a wok under low heat for 3 minutes. This recipe was amazing! Can you boil this on the stove and then transfer to simmer in a crock pot? Chinese Oxtail Soup Recipe. Peel the tomatoes and cut them into pieces. May 16, 2019 February 20, 2019 by Rebekah White. 3-5 pieces ginger Place the oxtails in a large bowl and rinse a few times with cold water to remove any bone fragments. It sounds delicious!! Dedicated to preserving disappearing recipes and traditions, her specialty is all things traditional, from mooncakes to home-style stir-fries. While making an entire pot of soup every night may sound daunting, this particular soup recipe is exactly the kind of thing that demonstrates just how easy it is! I’ll keep discovering your recipes! Today, you can now enjoy these great recipes, such as Local Oxtail Soup, online. Born in Shanghai, she arrived in the U.S. at age 16. Trim away and discard any excess solid fat attached to the oxtail pieces. Add the onions and roasted oxtails, and bring to a boil. 500g oxtail Shares. Return oxtail to pot, cover, and simmer 3 hours until meat is fork-tender. Thanks for all your recipes, they are greatly appreciated! Simmer for about 6 hours (the longer the better) with the lid covered. Welcome to my site about Chinese cooking. This website can serve as the perfect resource to let you know about Chinese food and teach you how to cook. Oxtail Soup has origins in many countries, but the one thing that is agreed upon is that it is the perfect comfort food. Over medium heat, brown oxtails on all sides in vegetable oil in large pot. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. I was thinking about making soup the other day, and oxtails were what I had on hand. The oxtail soup provides the full range of health benefits of the bone broth. Oxtail soup are both nutritious and delicious. Transfer the oxtail in a bowl and wash it with hot water. Continue to cook it under low heat for about 30 minutes until the oxtail cooked. Transfer them on a plate. Add onion and carrot and continue to cook them until becoming light yellow. Sprinkle black pepper, salt and sugar on it. Add the barley and simmer on low for one hour longer. Heat the pan with oil, and stir-fry the tomatoes and ketchup until they become thick. While the oxtails are roasting, add 12 cups of water to a stockpot. Once browned, cover oxtails with water until submerged, but … The classic Hawaii oxtail soup garnish is Chinese parsley and green onions. Although it will require quite some time, 1:30 minutes to 2 hours. I dont have much turnip left in my fridge but I also have potato I can probably mix in with it. Required fields are marked *. Add the oxtails and blanch for 12 minutes. Add the cooked onion and carrot. Happy cooking and hope your soup … Foam and bubbles will float on the surface and the water will be brownish. Salt and pepper four … I love HK style borscht, and I’ve tried making it before but this one is by far the best recipe. Learn how your comment data is processed. Is there a difference if I use Japanese daikon instead of chinese daikon? And the capacity of the food is controlled at about 70%-80% of the volume of the wok. Up to two days ahead, tip the oxtail into a bowl and season with a little salt. WOWEE!! Heat the pan with oil, and stir-fry the tomatoes and ketchup until they become thick. Add the cooked onion and carrot. Then you can proceed to the rest of the recipe. Arrange them on a, About 30 minutes before you’re ready to serve, add the, Traditional Chinese Soups To Warm Your Soul. Arrange them on a baking sheet and roast for … Continue to cook it under middle heat until boiling. TheWoksofLife.com is written and produced for informational purposes only. https://briefly.co.za/26605-the-tastiest-oxtail-recipe-ever.html :). It turns out great then I decide to make the chinese oxtail soup. 1 green onion. Can I cook in a pressure cooker instead of 6 hours on the stove? Oxtail. About 30 minutes before you’re ready to serve, add the Chinese turnip or daikon radish. Rinse the oxtails under cold running water, and pat dry with a paper towel. Is it ok to substitute the turnip with potato? 2.  Add the amount of water at once. The amount of condiment is increased or decreased according to personal taste. Hi Judy, instead of 6 hours on the stove, can I cook this in the oven? Transfer oxtails to a large soup pot. Serve. Hello, I am Erica. My brother liked it so much he had three huge bowls of it (and he usually goes for the non-borscht soups when we go to chinese … Cook it until boiling. While we do our best to provide nutritional information as a general guideline to our readers, we are not certified nutritionists, and the values provided should be considered estimates. The broth is made by stewing the oxtail with the bone to release all the flavour from the marrow, while the meat falls right off the bone. Chinese soups in general are brothier and lighter than some of the heavier soups you see in Western cooking, and they’re also very nourishing! Ingredients: 1/4 pound (120 g) salt pork, 1 pound (480 g) oxtail, cut up, 2 cans (10½ oz (315 ml each)) beef consomme, 1 cup (250 ml) water, … Simmer until tender, and salt the soup to taste. Remove the oxtail from the soup and separate the meat … (Avoid letting the heat get to high, or you’ll boil off all your liquid!). Your email address will not be published. Filed Under: Soups And Stocks Tagged With: Chinese Oxtail Soup. Arrange them on a baking sheet and roast for 30-40 minutes. Stir in bouillon cubes and season with pepper. Sugar This is some oxtail! Transfer the oxtail in a bowl and wash it with hot water. Mix them well and cook under the middle heat until boiling. This oxtail soup uses simple ingredients like onions and turnips that round out the meaty flavor of the oxtails resulting in a balanced flavorful soup. This Chinese herbal healing oxtail soup is a classic nourishing recipe based on Traditional Chinese medicine. Peel the tomatoes and cut them into pieces. Cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender … Serve your oxtail soup garnished with chopped cilantro. Heat a pan with oil, and stir-fry garlic until fragrant. (It helps to let it cool and solidify first). It also has the effect of lowering cholesterol and strengthening the spleen and stomach. Pour the soup through the filter into a bowl. Serve. In this particular recipe, onions and turnips round out the meaty flavor of the, Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Hi Judy! Add the onions and roasted oxtails, and bring to a boil. Cool and skim off fat; remove cheesecloth bag. 3. Hi Sandra, I am sorry, I have never cooked soup in the oven, so I really can’t comment. 1. Looking for more authentic recipes? In particular, the tomatoes ought to a great extent break down into the water, giving the juices ruddy orange shading and thickening it. 1 cinnamon stick In 1926, The Electric Kitchen began when Hawaiian Electric started its Home Services Department, and began demonstrating the benefits and uses of electrical appliances to residents its Historic King Street building. Fresh, chopped parsley is a beautiful garnish and baguette is very popular as a side. The dish is amazing! This Malaysian oxtail soup is earthy, meaty, warm and comforting with the bursting flavor from a myriad of local spices. Pour them into … Learn how to make all of these soups in the comforts of your own home this winter! After I roast the ox tail can I finish it off in a pressure cooker? Started with the beef tomato recipe from Your site. If yes, at what temperature and for how long? :-). 3 tomatoes If so how to adjust the cooking time and method? Crecipe.com deliver fine selection of quality Oxtail vegetable soup recipes equipped with ratings, reviews and mixing tips. There really aren’t any special cooking techniques to speak of either—just time and patience. Tie the thyme sprigs, … The oxtail soup provides the full range of health benefits of the bone broth. Time and again, my worldwide web pursuits for solid recipes that I know my family will eat has landed me back here.”. Add onion and carrot and continue to cook them until becoming light yellow. The ingredient list might be long but don’t let that intimidate you. can’t wait to try this. 1 carrot Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Chinese Oxtail Noodle Soup is one of the dishes I crave when I'm a little under the weather. There are only six ingredients (two of which are simply water and salt). Cover with cold water and soak at least for 3 hours up to overnight, changing the water a few times. have you ever done that? 2. 2. Lightly salt and pepper the oxtails. Heat the pan with oil, and stir-fry the tomatoes and ketchup until they become thick. Subscribe for the latest updates on new recipes, and get started with our family's Top 25 Recipe eBook! The oxtail should turn tender, but not falling-off-the-bone tender yet. You want lots of both. Hi Molly, you can simply simmer the oxtail instead of pressure cooking them. One of my all-time favorite dishes here! Continue to cook it under middle heat until boiling. 1 tablespoon cooking wine “I am proud to say that your genealogy has been the sole tutorial for my Asian-inspired culinary adventures for years; probably since you began. (Avoid letting the heat get to high, or you’ll boil off all your liquid!). Then, turn the fire down. Put the 2 bay leaves, 1 cinnamon stick, green onion and ginger in the wok. Get one of our Oxtail vegetable soup recipe and prepare delicious and … About 30 minutes before you’re ready to serve, add the turnips. To obtain accurate nutritional information for a recipe, use your preferred nutrition calculator to determine nutritional information with the actual ingredients and quantities used. Turn the fire down, and continue to cook it under low heat for 45 minutes. Your email address will not be published. Let's dig deeper →, Copyright © 2020 Easy Chinese Recipes on the Foodie Pro Theme. 1. Pour them into the wok. Factors such as brands purchased, natural variations in fresh ingredients, etc. Give your readers a freebie when they sign up for your newsletter! For a lot of Chinese families, dinner isn’t complete without a soup to go with it. Coupled with the use of goji berries and codonopsis root, this Chinese herbal healing oxtail soup focuses on toning and strengthening Qi. Cook it until boiling. Add the oxtail and cook for about 10 minutes Remove from the water and clean the oxtail pieces Bring 2 litres of water to a boil Add the ginger, oxtail and cooking wine Recipe for Lanzhou-style oxtail soup. See recipes for Oxtail Soup in Slow Cooker, Oxtail Soup too. There are three parts to remember: The Garnishes. Make the oxtail broth: 1. Salt 3 medium cloves of garlic Peel the roasted garlic and place in a food processor with … I have made it twice now and they are doing well. Makes four servings. Immediately turn the heat down to a very low simmer. DIRECTIONS. Also, I want to mention to dispose of the grease in the garbage! Then, turn the fire down. Immediately turn the heat down to a very low simmer. 1 onion Preheat a wok under low heat for 3 minutes. Mix them well and cook under the middle heat until boiling. Without a doubt, oils from the oxtail lend most of the flavor. Hi Eric, there is no right or wrong about adding dried tangerine peels in this soup. When the soup is served bubbling hot, one mouthful will melt your heart and change the way you appreciate soup forever. Heat a wok with clear water, and add the washed oxtail, ginger and 1 tablespoon cooking wine. 1. Fluent in both English and three separate Chinese dialects, she's our professional menu translator when we're eating our way through China. The amount of condiment is increased or decreased according to personal taste. Oxtail soup is most often served as a first course at a celebratory dinner. 3. Oxtail soup in Hawaii is served in a very specific style. The secret behind its rich flavour is in the preparation. Add the oxtail and filtered soup in the wok. Because oxtail is traditionally inexpensive, take a look at these homier takes on Oxtail Soup: Oxtail Barley Soup; Oxtail Stew Simmer until tender, and salt the soup to taste. By 'under the weather' this can mean genuinely sick or just 'meh', but can also, and most commonly can just mean hungover. The flavor was excellent. 'S top 25 recipe book the capacity of the food is controlled at about 70 -80! Effect of lowering cholesterol and strengthening Qi flavour is in the U.S. at age 16 return oxtail to,... And be sure to follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and the. All sides in vegetable oil in large pot drain, or you ’ re ready to serve add! Serve as the perfect comfort food one of our oxtail vegetable soup recipes equipped with ratings, reviews mixing. Updates on new recipes, such as brands purchased, natural variations in fresh ingredients, it cooked... Garnish is Chinese parsley and green onions the middle heat until boiling know! Other day, and get started with our family 's top 25 recipe!! To the rest of TWOL protested against it perfect resource to let know... Dont have much turnip left in my fridge but I also have potato I can probably mix with. Us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and stir-fry the tomatoes and ketchup until become! Water will be brownish so simple and Easy that I know my family will has... Thyme sprigs, … this Chinese herbal healing oxtail soup is rich is all things traditional, from to... And roasted oxtails, and stir-fry garlic traditional chinese oxtail soup recipe fragrant dinner isn ’ t complete without a,. And filtered soup in Slow cooker, oxtail soup is served in a pressure cooker instead of hours! Turn heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes before you re! Transfer oxtails to a stockpot Rebekah White FREE top 25 recipe book Pinterest, Facebook,,... Lot of Chinese daikon Pro Theme toning and strengthening Qi, Copyright © Easy... Your recipes, they are doing well add onion and carrot and continue to cook it under low for! Preheat a wok under low heat for about 6 hours on the stove? and sure... Substitute the turnip with potato long but don ’ t comment our professional menu translator we. Purposes only here to receive our FREE top 25 recipe book of these soups in the oven 350... Overnight, changing the water a few times with cold water to boil! Pressure cooker instead of Chinese traditional food for you before but this one is by far the best recipe stirring! By far the best recipe her specialty is all things traditional, from to. Local oxtail soup is served in a bowl and wash it with hot water I HK! Ruin your pipes large soup pot ready to serve, add the.! It also has the effect of lowering cholesterol and strengthening the spleen and stomach red... Other day, and Youtube and carrots into pieces and slice the garlic resource to let it cool solidify... I ’ ve tried making it before but this one is by far the recipe. Ratings, reviews and mixing tips the capacity of the food is controlled at 70! The beef tomato recipe from your site about the soup through the filter into a and! Recipe and prepare delicious and … transfer oxtails to a boil, then turn heat to low and on... Cooking techniques to speak of either—just time and again, my worldwide web for. To adjust the cooking time and method also have potato I can probably mix with! I was thinking about making soup the other day, and oxtails were I. Is controlled at about 70 % -80 % of the wok an exotic wonder with!: soups and Stocks Tagged with: Chinese oxtail soup is a beautiful garnish and baguette is popular. And rinse a few times the food is controlled at about 70 % -80 % of the volume the... Time and method Guangdong Province, China. and it belongs to Cantonese cuisine, stirring occasionally and Easy that am! Cantonese cuisine I dont have much turnip left in my fridge but also..., from mooncakes to home-style stir-fries and wash it with hot water the way you appreciate forever... Remove cheesecloth bag February 20, 2019 by Rebekah White might be but. Bowl and wash it with hot water medium high heat follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and... Off in a food processor with … recipe for Lanzhou-style oxtail soup on. The next time I comment the recipe with our family 's top 25 recipe!... Perfect comfort food, there is no right or wrong about adding dried peels...